Saturday, June 16, 2012

Pony Express Re-ride.. Part 1

I have to admit I was really nervous about this event. Not only was it my first one ever, the event took place just outside of the park, while other events took place inside the park! Also, I advertised this event to take place on the other side of the park, but at the meeting last week, I discovered it had been moved to the main side of the park, along the Fort Churchill Road. Oops! So I spent a lot of time re-advertising the new location and making and hanging flyers and signs to announce the new location!

The Pony Express re-ride happens once a year, alternating between east and west. This year, the riders took off from Sacramento, CA and headed the almost 2,000 miles towards St. Joseph, Missouri. I love the Pony Express, so as nervous as I was for this event, I was really excited for it too.


National Pony Express Association members wearing the traditional "uniform."

I advertised the event to start at 4 p.m. with the Civil War Volunteers and Nevada Calvary kicking things off. 4 p.m. came and went, with no one showing up. The Pony Express Association members were coming back and forth, letting us know when the mail exchange was to happen, so when we got word that the rider was only 4 miles away I started moving people towards the Fort Churchill Road. Some drove, some walked the short distance through the gate outside the park.

We got word that although two riders were thrown from their horses, the riders were an hour early so instead of the mail exchange happening at 6 p.m. (as advertised) it happened around 5 p.m. I was SO worried someone would show up at 6 expecting to see the mail exchange and the programs scheduled but everyone apparently took my suggestion to show up early, as horses don't carry watches! hahaha

My pictures of the re-ride itself are at work so I will have to post those later...meanwhile, here are some others. I was asked to give a history talk about Fort Churhill and fire the cannon. After my talk, David Kittle gave a talk about the history of the Pony Express. I will post more about his speech when I post my pictures of the re-ride because I think it will have more meaning.

Me, with the National Pony Express Association members!!


A spur-of-the-moment decision was made to induct two new members into the association. I got to see a swearing-in ceremony for the first time. SO cool!


Not the best picture of me, but I was giving a talk to about 35 people and PRAYING the cannon would go off for me! It worked and everyone was happy!


David Kittle, giving his presentation about the XP history.


Local photographer capturing women in period costume...

I really like seeing people in period costumes. I did feel bad for these women dressed in such heavy clothes in this heat though!

Another ...interesting....picture of me, but this is Richard Massey, the park's photographer.

1 comment:

Galadriel said...

You've been so busy--looks like you're having a lot of fun, too. Love the photos!