Monday, May 9, 2011

Work, work, work

I haven't posted much lately...work got busy fast and I'm been getting out as much as possible on days off--trying to get some exercise and work off my winter weight...Dave bought us an exercise bike so even when it's really cold or really hot we can get our workout without a trip to the gym.

I am finally getting into a Master's program and USU Moab offers a Recreation Resource Management degree.  I am going to a week-long field school from May 16-21 and have to give a presentation.  I picked "The role of environmental interpretation in recreation resource management."  Hopefully it'll go over well.  The minimum talking time for grad students in this class is an hour.  With the outline I came up with, it could last 3-4 hours...but I don't really want to take up the entire afternoon.  It should be a fun class though.  It's got LOTS of reading (even including Edward Abbey), an afternoon in Arches, the River Portal, Mill Creek...and an overnight camping trip down towards the Needles District of Canyonlands.

Another part of the Master's program is a project.  Somehow this just happened and I fell into the middle of it, but Dead Horse Point State Park is now setting up a partnership with the Moab Charter School.  I'm working on the schedule of events right now so I can meet with them on Wednesday.  They want to move from an artistic program to more of an environmental education program.  Anyway I can get credit for working with them.  Now, all I need to do is take the GRE (oops) and officially get accepted to the college so I can continue.  I'm thinking it should be a great program.

...Learning to measure use impacts. water quality sampling, surveying and a ton of other stuff...

Plus it's taking place here, which is a bonus.  I'm taking the week off work and getting 3 graduate credits for it.  I'll take pictures and post after that week is over!

1 comment:

Gilbrides said...

I watched an old episode of MacGyver last night and it featured Dead Horse Point. I couldn't help think of you. It looks like you are very busy. I love seeing your posts and all the wonderful things you are doing!