Monday, April 25, 2011

Earth Day Clean-up

I received a text from my friend Wendy on Thursday asking if I wanted to do a quick Earth Day clean-up along Mill Creek in the center of town.  We did one last year and found lots of garbage and recyclable materials, so I decided it would be a good idea to get back out there--plus it's great exercise and the weather had been super nice.

A walking/biking path follows Mill Creek through the city of Moab.  It's peaceful and quiet and we heard a lot of birds singing as we cleaned.  I use the Mill Creek path to walk across town--it avoids the busy streets and passes under Main Street.  It's the easiest (maybe not the fastest) way to get to the store and even across town.  The part we cleaned was right next to/under Main Street and below Woody's Tavern.  ...Not against the bar...except when people throw beer glasses and garbage over the fence and into the creek.  Most of what we picked up was broken glasses, beer bottles and food containers (ew).


My friend Wendy who invited me along.


My friend Sara Melnicoff, who organizes these events!  Yay Sara!  Her website, http://www.moab-solutions.org/ is awesome--projects, green tips, etc.


Sara and her display about Moab Solutions.  She makes portable exhibits out of recyclable materials.  One can be seen at the Wabi Sabi Thriftique in town and she takes them with her when she gives presentations or holds events.


The group of us.  Me, Wendy, Dean, Sara, Carole and Breezy.  We all felt a little grungy after wading in the creek and mud, going after garbage and recyclables but it was worth it!

I know it's over, but Happy Earth Day!

2 comments:

Patricia Lichen said...

I love that a handful of people got together and did this! I'd guess you've already seen this quote by Margaret Meade, but it's one of my favorites: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

--Patricia Lichen, www.patriciaklichen.com

Kim Zuch said...

Thanks! I think I have seen that quote, and I love it! Thanks for the visit :)